Starting the New Year 2010 Right
As we look forward to 2010, we face tremendous challenges – both globally and individually. We continue to wage a greater spiritual war for the redemption and healing of our lives and nations as the return of the Lord Jesus Christ fast approaches.
Apart from God, we are powerless. In the face of all forthcoming obstacles and tests, we all need to acknowledge over and over that our dependence is on the mighty Spirit of the Lord alone.
And so, this January, I invite you to join with me in 7 days of fasting and prayer to start the new year 2010 right. My local church in His Word teaches last Sunday that biblical fasting is not just “not eating.” But it is abstinence from food with a spiritual goal in mind.
Why fast? Fasting is a spiritual weapon that God uses to bring blessing, redemption, and healing into our lives. Last Sunday, here are Scriptures I gathered during our church worship that tell us why we need to fast:
• God expects us to fast. (Matthew 6: 16: 17)
• Jesus fasted. (Matthew 4:2)
• The early church fasted. (Acts 13:3; 14:23)
• Fasting demonstrates humility before God. (Psalm 35: 13; 1 Kings 21:27-29; Ezra 8:21)
• Fasting makes us sensitive to the leading and power of the Holy Spirit. (Luke 4: 1, 2; Acts 13: 2; Matthew 4: 1, 2; Matthew 17:21; Mark 9:29)
• Fasting brings about personal and national spiritual and inner healing. (2 Chronicles 7:14; Daniel 9:3)
• Fasting is good for and improves our physical health.
Feel free to write me if you have any further questions on the healing power of prayer and fasting in your life or if you have any prayer requests and concerns. Cheers!