Monday, January 09, 2012
What To Do If Someone You Love Mentions Suicide
Here are some things that you can do or give for purposes of "first aid:"
* If he or she wants to talk about it, be available to listen.
* Say that you care and want to help.
* Don't criticize or offer intellectual arguments.
* Avoid making light of, laughing at, or minimizing his or her pain.
* You may say that normal people think about it when stressed.
* Don't try to offer quick, easy solutions.
* Don't challenge him or her to do it.
* Say you care or love the person, that you'll miss him or her.
* Encourage the person and don't label him or her a mental or nut case.
* Let the person talk as long as necessary and help him or her let the horrible feelings out.
* You may gently ask information regarding his or her suicide plans (method, date etc.) that you can later give to health worker/doctor/therapist/counselor.
* Calm the person down, keep your voice low, and nod like you see how bad the situation is.