Sunday, March 18, 2012
Why People Don't Recover (Part 2)
As one wise man put it, "How do you swallow an elephant? One bite at a time."
Stephen Arterburn, a bestselling author and psychotherapist/counselor, identified several barriers to the personal recovery process. Here are some "crucial ones" he presented:
* Problem behavior attracts longed-for attention;
* Fear of launching out into the unknown;
* Someone is enabling the addiction;
* Fear of exposure (guilt is private, shame is public);
* Pride, arrogance;
* Despair or sense of hopelessness;
* Physiological or biochemical dependency;
* Fear of failure;
* Running from reality;
* False sense of happiness and power;
* Fear of insanity if separated from the "fix"
How many more sufferings and disasters must leave a path of destruction before choosing legitimate pain that produces healing, recovery, growth, and maturity?